vdcen

Church of Saint Hippolyte and Saint Cassien in Arghjusta Muricciu

5/5 - 2 reviews
Saint Hippolyte et Saint Cassien
5
2
596
r6675578e1b1f2
20
voc
Posted on 01/01/2000 | Updated 26 years ago

16th Century Church

Built on a rocky promontory before reaching Muricciu, the Parish Church of Saint Hippolyte and Saint Cassian - Sant'Ippolitu è San Cassianu - dates from the second half of the 16th century. Along with the Santa Lucia chapel, it constitutes the two religious edifices of the commune. Some architectural elements, such as the modillions, were likely borrowed from the Chapel, which is now in ruins.

At the entrance, the lintel bears the date 1461. The bell tower, on the other hand, bears the date 1787. In 1903, the commune hired an architect to design a plan and estimate for the construction of a new church, a project that unfortunately did not come to fruition.

A plaque indicates that a restoration of the building was carried out in 1982.

Dedicated to Two Martyrs of the 3rd and 4th Centuries

The Church is dedicated to Saint Hippolytus of Rome, a priest martyred and who died in 235, under the reign of Maximinus Thrax.

Saint Cassian - Cassius - was a schoolmaster in the 4th century, sentenced to death by the governor of the city of Imola in Italy. The latter ordered that it be his students who killed him, lacerating him to death with their styluses, so that the weaker their hands, the longer the martyr's torture would be.

The Interior of the Church

The interior of the Church retains its elements from yesteryear, as in the chapel of the Rosary. It is majestically adorned with sculptures, inscriptions, statues, and religious paintings, one of which depicts the patron saints of the Church, Saint Hippolyte, Saint Cassian, as well as Saint Lucy, and Archbishop Charles Borromeo.

A beautiful Baroque-style processional cross is also mounted on the wall.