Tour de Capigliolu à Tiuccia

5/5 - 1 reviews
Posted on 01/10/2023 | Updated 26 years ago

The Genoese Tower of Capigliolu in Tiuccia

Genoese Tower of Capigliolu

Easily accessible after a few minutes of walking, the so-called Tiuccia tower was built in the 16th century and completed in 1583 by Giovan Gieronimo Ponte, Lazaro, and Battista Sorba.

The construction of the Capigliolu tower is part of a larger field of defensive constructions on behalf of the pieve of Cirnaca, which notably included the towers of Pelusella and Palmentaghju.

With a height of 8 to 10 meters, the Capigliolu tower was privately managed. It passed under several successive directions before falling under the control of the French authorities at the end of the 18th century.

Its state of disrepair was already mentioned in the mid-19th century, nearly 200 years ago. Today, the building is owned by the Conservatoire du Littoral.

(Sources: Les Tours du Littoral de la Corse, Antoine-Marie Graziani)