vdcen

Genoese Tower of Porto at Ota

5/5 - 1 reviews
Porto
5
1
102
r66755294120d3
20
voc
Posted on 30/11/-0001 | Updated 2200 years ago

Founded in 1552

Tour Génoise Porto à Ota, le 13/10/2012

The Genoese tower of Porto (Portu di Sia) is situated on a rocky promontory in the marina of Porto (Ota), named after this coastal river which has its source in Cristinacce.

It was constructed in the mid-16th century in 1552 and completed in 1553, shortly after the Girolata tower. At that time, Genoa built it to counter the Franco-Turkish attacks (particularly in the region of Calvi and Bonifacio) during a period of conflict in which Corsica was highly coveted.

In the work "Voyage archéologique et architectural en Corse," there is a drawing of the Porto Tower dating from the mid-14th century, created by an architect named Bessières.

Characteristics

This Genoese tower is notable for its square shape, with sides measuring approximately 14 meters at the base and 10 meters at the top. It was equipped with a bronze cannon.

(Partial sources: Les Tours du Littoral de la Corse, Antoine-Marie Graziani)